FAQ frequently asked Questions
1. Q: What is Titanium Dioxide and Photocatalysis?
A: Titanium Dioxide is a semiconductor that is chemically activated using the energy from light. A catalyst creates or influences
a chemical reaction. The catalyst itself is not consumed in the process. If this process is triggered by light, one speaks of
2. Q: What is the amorphous state?
A: In the amorphous state, the TitanShield® is non-crystalline.
3. Q: What temperature should be used for heat treatment?
A: For heat treatment, it should be between 120 and 600 degrees Celsius.
4. Q: At what UV wavelength does TitanShield® react best?
A: TitanShield® reacts best at a wavelength of 380nm with a light intensity of 50μW/cm.
5. Q: Why is TitanShield® water soluble?
A: TitanShield® molecules are water-soluble because the ions in the TiO2 crystal repel and thus disperse each other.
9. Q: What is the hardness of the TitanShield® film?
A: The dry film has a hardness of 2H at room temperature (comparable to pencil leads)
10. Q: How should TitanShield® be stored?
A: TitanShield® should be stored in a cool, dark place, at a temperature of 5 to 25 degrees Celsius.
11. Q: Does the temperature affect the quality?
A: The transparency and adhesiveness are increased by heat
12. Q: Are there qualitative differences between the TitanShield® indoor and outdoor applications?
A: In principle, the same solution can be used, but a thinner titanium dioxide film should be applied for outdoor use.
Frequently Asked Questions 2-1
1. Details of the spray gun used
2. F: nozzle diameter
A: The nozzle diameter should be between 0.3-0.5mm
3. F: Air pressure used
A: 0.2 to 0.3 hp
4. F: Compressor pressure (MPa)
5. F: compressor type
A: A low air pressure compressor is required.
7. Q: Can TitanShield® be applied with a brush?
A: It is very difficult to apply an even and even coat with a brush, so we do not recommend it.
8. Q: Can TitanShield® be applied with a roller?
A: Even with a roller, it is difficult to apply the TitanShield® evenly and opaquely. In addition, rollers can drip. This method is also not recommended.
9. Q: Can spray guns be used?
A: Spray guns are the best way to apply TitanShield®.
10. Q: Does the surface need to be cleaned before treatment?
A: Yes, because even the finest contaminants reduce the adhesion of TitanShield®.
11. Q: Can TitanShield® be used on dirty surfaces?
A: No, since adhesion does not occur on dirt.
12. Q: What cleaning agent is recommended for pre-treatment?
A: For the pre-treatment, we recommend synthetic cleaners.
13. Q: What must be considered when cleaning glass before treating it with TitanShield®?
A: The surface of the glass is often covered with an oil film, which must be completely removed before use.
14. Q: What must be considered when using it on water-repellent surfaces?
A: A small amount of wetting agent should be applied beforehand to ensure adhesion of TitanShield®.
15. Q: How to achieve a hard TitanShield® film?
A: A hard film is obtained by heat drying. Silicone resin can also be added to harden the film.
16. Q: Why are some TitanShield® coatings easy to rub off by hand?
A: The TitanShield® physically bonds to the surface, but friction can damage it.
17. Q: What wetting agent is recommended?
A: A wetting agent without any additives should be used with TitanShield®.
18. Q: What resin is mixed with the solution to achieve a hard film?
A: The resin should not contain more than 0.2% additives. A permanent solution cannot be achieved in this way.
Frequently asked questions 2-2
19. Q: How much TitanShield® is required for one square meter?
A: About 50 grams are needed for one square meter. Only 30 grams are required for glass and 100 grams for concrete. Please see the application datasheet for application quantities
20. Q: How to avoid dripping when applying?
A: Don't apply too many solutions at once. Three to four thin layers are optimal.
21. Q: How long does a layer take to dry?
A: The TitanShield® solution takes about half an hour to dry in good weather.
22. Q: Why does the "rainbow" problem occur? (For glass applications)
A: When TitanShield® is applied to glass, the film refracts light slightly. The thicker the layer, the more this effect occurs. The recommended order quantities are critical
24. Q: What causes a whitish film on the surface after treatment with TitanShield®?
A: This can happen if the coating is too thick on a dark background. Please see Quantities datasheet
25. Q: How to fix this issue?
A: It is recommended to use a thin TitanShield® film on dark substrates. Please see the application datasheet
26. Q: Why must a protective layer of Titanium be applied to organic materials first? primers are applied?
A: Because oxidation of TitanShield® could damage the surface.
27. Q: How thick is the TitanShield® film?
A: The maximum thickness is 0.5 to 1.0 micron
28. Q: How is the thickness of the film determined?
A: A very accurate gauge must be used for this. Usually, an electron microscope is used to measure a coated sample. But also a PPC2 photocatalyst
An evaluation device is used.
29. Q: Is there coating training?
A: Yes, we offer coating courses.
1. Q: How durable is the TitanShield® film?
A: The film usually lasts about ten years. However, if the coating is not correct, the film will not last as long.
Subject: Corrections when coating
1. Q: How to remove the TitanShield® film from a surface?
A: With abrasive cleaner, you can treat the film before peeling it off to remove it.